Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A single word..

Most of us have played a game.
Maybe in school, or just on the weekend.
I remember failing, on my birthday..
I ran the mile run at Rice Field May 21, 1996.
I was a freshman in High School.
It was my 16th birthday
and I wanted to go to sectionals.
But I had to run the race of my life to get there.
I believe we had to run under 4:50 for a mile.
I can remember being close to tears
when I crossed the finish line.
There would be no Sectional Meet for me... I had missed the time by 2 seconds.
I remember thinking, "but, it's my birthday"!
They should just let me in...
It didn't happen..
At that moment I had a choice-
I could fight for what I enjoyed-running.
Or I could leave the sport that I loved.
When I say fight, I mean put the miles in so the next time I could be ready....
This is where great coaches come in.
Coach Noffsinger once pulled me to the side when I was frustrated and wanted to quit.
He just looked me in the eyes and said
 "I never picked you as a quitter".
I ran for years after that competing in Marathons, Ultra-Marathons and Triathlons.
Those few words when I was struggling made the difference for me.
Encourage someone today!
It could change their life!
Give them a "never quit attitude".
Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment