Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Challenges come in different ways

As a trainer part of my job is as a motivator. There is a first time for everything that ever happens in your life.  Yesterday was a first time for me to really face someone that was losing hope in my classroom. As I spent my typical day working on Attitude I did not notice the struggling individual that was in the group. As a matter of fact I would not have picked this individual as someone struggling. It is amazing how well we can hide our feelings and attitudes when we do not want to be seen. This individual looked polished, and ready to go. It was not until after the class was dismissed that I was about to learn more. I was about to find a new challenge. This individual moved slowly, almost reluctantly towards the door. As the last person left the room they approached me. What came next caught me off guard. The next few minutes were tough. This person described the struggles, how it has been wave after wave of frustration over the past few months. In what has been one of my biggest challenges I searched for the right thing to say. All I could do is go to the basics. It was time for an attitude check. As we sat back and talked for over an hour taking time to breath it came down to some basics. What are some of the positive things in your life? If everything was gone, what can you hold onto? Family, friends were first. That was a starting point. I then shared "The Secret", a book that I had been reviewing. If you have not read it, it talks about positive, laws of attraction. I ask that they review the book, to read some pages and get some footing and take some notes. I never saw that challenge coming. My hope is that finding footing is a great start. We discussed that everything did not happen overnight, and it would take time to set things right. But maybe, just maybe we have started to "right the ship". That is my wish for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment