Friday, December 14, 2012

Who's Agenda is it?

Several years ago I was conducting lease training in Colorado. It was a store that I had spend several years working with in various areas of the dealership. I had been visiting with the dealer for several months about the values of leasing. Ford had a very strong lease program, and the dealer could make some big points with the manufacturer by increasing their leasing percentage.
I convinced the dealer that we needed to do an off site training. We would split it up over a couple days and cover all the Sales Team, (sales managers, finance managers and all sales staff).
There were 4 sessions 1/2 day each. I was excited, really felt that I was bringing the dealer what I thought they needed.
I got to the last session and felt great going in, about 3 hours in a 4 hour session one of the managers raised their hand and "sank my ship". He was not bought in, it affected his pay, and he wanted none of it.
How did I miss that guy, %^#%^^^ I was not happy... with myself (I am my own worst critic).
After a short time the dealer approached me and thanked me. I told him I had let him down. That I didn't hold up my end of the deal. That I did not get my agenda across....
The dealer quickly reminded me that the training "was not about me, or my agenda", oops! The dealer went on to say that his agenda had been satisfied.
Never forget that we all have agenda, we need to be empathetic and give, give, give to satisfy our customer.
And remember it's not about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment